Wednesday, November 16, 2016

5 Things to do in London.... and one thing not to do

London,

A long time coming, I finally have a mini travel guide to London! Or at least my favourite things to do in London. Also, look at how pretty this post is. It maybe have taken a full week (over the course of a few months, because seriously, it took two days just to figure out how to make a text box) to figure out the coding, but it was well worth it, don't you think? Either way, let me know what your favourite things to do in London are? Or any misses? WestJet seems to be having seat sales there every fall, so you can bet I'll be going again (maybe I'll even make it to London Fashion Week this time). KLM is also having a flight sale to Amsterdam right now... I'm so tempted.




London, afternoon tea, muriel's kitchen
London, afternoon tea, muriel's kitchen
1. GO TO AFTERNOON TEA

Quintessentially British, afternoon tea is not to be missed in London. There's a ton of options at varying price points, so don't worry if you're on a budget. My friend and I went to Muriel's Kitchen, which was a reasonable 17 pounds for a ton of food. Go on an empty stomach, trust me, you'll need all the room you can get.

For lighter fair, try cream tea (it's usually just scones, clotted cream, and tea – but that's all you need in life!).
London, queen's guard, buckingham palace, horseguard
London, queen's guard, buckingham palace, horseguard
2. SEE THE HORSE GUARD

Forget the Foot Guard and their marching – go see the Horse Guards! Every morning there's a changing of the guards at the Horse Guards Parade (11:00 am).

When we went, there were only two foot guards at Buckingham Palace, but after an hour of searching for each other and snapping pictures of said guards, we were surprised by the mini parade. It starts at Whitehall, but goes all the way to Palace (not that that's very far).
London, buckingham palace
London, british museum
London, british museum, mummy
3. LOOK AT SOME MUMMIES...

And see what Cleopatra really looked like! Just kidding, the British Museum only houses the mummy of Cleopatra of Thebes, not the famous Eyptian queen.

The British Museum is free to get into, and has exhibits for everyone's interests. I went for solely for the mummies (anyone else facing their childhood fears in 2016?), but there's so many exhibits that caught my eye and resulted in me spending the better part of the day there (and I didn't even come close to seeing them all!). Bonus, there's free wifi, so you can try and catch a Mr. Mime while catching up on Instagram.
London, soho
London, oxford street, and other stories
london, red bus, oxford street
4. SHOP ALONG OXFORD STREET

Oxford Street was definitely one of my favourite haunts during my first trip. It was easily walkable from King's Cross Station (about 40 minutes) and has the biggest Topshop I know of. There's half of a floor dedicated to shoes, and another half for repurposed vintage items. Definitely not something you want to miss!

A new find was & Other Stories, a brand I've only heard of through the European bloggers I read. I quickly fell in love with their store and minimalistic designs. Please come to Canada!
london
5. GET LOST

London is a beautiful city, and there's no better way to explore a new place than to get lost... or at least walk everywhere now that Google Maps works offline. I stayed close to King's Cross, which allowed me walk nearly everywhere I wanted to go within an hour. I also chose to take a different route every time, despite usually ending up at Oxford St. or Soho.

You'll be surprised at what you find – like the Horse Guard, Platform 9/4, or a theatre showing Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I'm a fangirl, I know.
london, buckingham palace
WHAT NOT TO DO

Whatever you do, don't eat the croissants! They're not croissants, I swear. I don't know what they are, but they are not croissants (or my favourite, croissants au beurre). Trust me, you're better off booking a Eurostar ticket into Paris, the boulangeries are worth it if you want a good croissant (and good coffee). Stick with the scones and tea in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Flickr Images

Real Time Analytics