Wednesday, July 6, 2016

It's Sale Season! How to Shop Without Going Broke



It's sale season, and we all know what that means: impulse buying and clothing that will be worn once then forgotten about at the bottom of the laundry basket. Or is that just me? To be honest, I don't usually forget my new purchases for at least a few months (because I love them so much I'll wear them over and over for two or three months and then never want to see them again). I do tend to buy things I don't need (love, but don't need), whether it's a repeat in my closet (because I love it so much!) or just something I can't wear in my daily life (hi there bare shoulders – scandalous in Korea, frozen in Canada). So here are my top five tips to shop sale season without causing your wallet to cry... as much.


1. Budget
A good budget is key – if you’re like me, you like to buy things “just because they’re on sale.” A bit of self awareness will prevent a lot of impulse buys and wasted money. And don’t forget to stop once you reach it (or return things and try again).

2. Cash

I prefer to take out a set amount of cash to spend – it feels so much more like spending compared to swiping my credit card (especially compared to online shopping, I mean am I really spending anything by clicking a button and not having anything immediate to show for it?). I loathe handing over cash, because i can physically see my money leave my bank account.

3. Make a list
Is there anything you need or are specifically looking for? Basics are always great to stock up on during a sale, but if you already have ten white tees, do you really need another just because of a sale? Take note of what you have and what you need, as well as what you want. Personally, I love sales to buy trendier pieces to try out. Most trends will stay around a year or so, so even though I’ve stocked up on off the shoulder blouses and dresses, I’m sure I’ll be able to wear them next summer as well (but we’ll see come September when the SS17 shows start).

4. Size 
Never compromise on size! You won’t wear something if it doesn’t fit you right (especially if you’re looking at shoes). If you can, always try it on before buying – the size might be off, or maybe it’s just one of those pieces that looks better on the rack.

5. Love it
You should love what you’re buying. A good question to ask yourself is whether you would buy it at full price. It’s great when a deal comes along, but if you don’t love it,  chances are it’ll end up forgotten at the bottom of your drawer after a few wears. Sale pieces can add up quickly, so always take a moment to reflect on how much you love what’s in your cart. 


Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Flickr Images

Real Time Analytics